Ridgeview Elementary School is excited to announce the evolution of its one-to-one program, which will expand the Chromebook program that has served the school well during the last four years. When we adopted the Chromebook program, it was clear that this was best device for Ridgeview at that time. As technological tools and platforms have developed since then, Ridgeview has determined that a different approach to the one-to-one program will better serve the students and teachers. We will now take advantage of more recent developments and trends in educational technology that offer a variety of options to better serve the learning needs and preferences of our students.
Ridgeview (and other schools throughout the Eureka Union School District) will adopt a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program starting in the 2017-2018 school year. This means that families will be able to choose a device to bring to school from a list of recommended devices that meet minimum specifications. We chose this program for several reasons:
- The prevalence of web-based tools and non-device specific programs
- The desire for students to be able to produce original work
- The ability for students to customize their learning experience
- The budgetary realities of each family and the school district
- The freedom for students to choose a device that fits their comfort level and interests
- A limited number of school-owned devices are available for check out for use at school and home. Priority is reserved for families qualifying for additional services due to financial hardship.
So, how does this work? Families will be able to purchase a device that meets clearly defined functional requirements. The information below will describe these requirements and offer examples of approved devices to help families make informed decisions. Please consider the following steps before purchasing a device for your family:
While this program allows for choice and customization, student devices are required to meet several requirements. This is meant to help families narrow their search, not dictate specific devices. The list of minimum requirements is below this text.
If you have any questions about the BYOD program, please take a moment to review the FAQ found on our website: BYOD FAQ.